The best way to ensure you get the most out of the life of your hair extensions is to make sure you are properly caring for them. Follow these few tips and you'll have soft, healthy hair extensions.
- Brush and de-tangle your hair often – at least once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Braid or tie up your hair before sleeping, working out or playing sports.
- Hair extensions must be installed, removed and maintenanced by a certified stylist.
- Always de-tangle your hair before washing.
- To wash, apply conditioner to the shaft and ends of the hair, shampoo the root, rinse and re-apply conditioner and let sit for at least 5 minutes. Keeping conditioner on the ends will prevent shampoos from striping any natural oils.
- After washing, use a leave-in-conditioner or serum on extensions to maintain moisture (avoiding contact at the root).
- Squeeze out the excess water and blot with a cotton towel. Use a large wide tooth comb to detangle and straighten while extensions are damp.
- To help adhesives last as long as possible, blow-dry your hair carefully at a low temperature.
- Never sleep with wet hair.
- Comb and then air dry with product for a natural body wave.
- When straightening, curling and styling, first use a heat protectant.
- Use low temperature on all heat tools.
- Avoid bleach and dyes.
- Use only sulfate-free and paraben-free products.
- It's not recommended to have hair extension be in contact with seawater or chlorinated water.
- Take caution when applying sunscreen, some sun blocks contain chemicals that can discolour the hair.